By Catherine McCord
Pizza Mummies (serves 2)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- 2 english muffins, cut in half
- 8 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 2 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 3 green olives with pimentos
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the English muffin halves on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven and spread 2 teaspoons of the pizza sauce onto each English muffin half.
- Peel the mozzarella sticks into strings and decoratively arrange them on top of each English muffin. Slice the green olives into 1/4 inch thick rings and place them on top of the cheese to create eyes.*
- Bake mummies for 3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
* If making mummies in the morning to eat later in the day, after this step place muffins on a plate, cover loosely with tin foil and refrigerate. When ready to serve, continue with step 5.
Mummy Dogs (Serves 8)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- 8 veggie, turkey or beef dogs
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Cut the pizza dough into 8 even strips using a pizza cutter or knife.
- Stretch each piece of the pizza dough until it’s about 4 times the length of the hot dog.
- Starting at the top, wrap the pizza dough around the hot dog until it’s completely covered allowing a small space for the face.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- When the hot dogs are cool, dot the ketchup and/or mustard with a toothpick for the eyes.
Accompaniments: ketchup, mustard
Make mealtime fun, healthy and interesting for your family using Catherine’s arsenal of recipes for everything from first foods to school lunches to family dinners in her two cookbooks. Weelicious: One Family, One Meal, and Weelicious Lunches: Think Outside the Lunchbox!