By Catherine McCord
Prep Time:15 minutes, Cook Time: 12 minutes, Total Time: 27 minutes,
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1. Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- 2. In a separate bowl whisk the liquid ingredients.
- 3. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and whisk until just combined.
- 4. Let the batter stand for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- 5. Place 2 tbsp of the mixture in a large, greased sauté pan over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Serve with maple syrup or honey.
Sweet Potato Latkes (Make 20 Toddler Pancakes)
Prep Time:2 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes, Total Time: 15 minutes,
- 1 sweet potato, grated (this came out to be 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- canola or vegetable oil, for pan searingapple sauce apple sauce
- 1. Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and throughly combine.
- 2. Place a large saute pan or griddle over medium heat.
- 3. Heat 3-4 Tbsp of oil, or enough to coat the bottom of the pan, in the saute pan for 30 seconds.
- 4. Add a heaping tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture to the pan. Pat down the mixture with the back of a fork and form into a thin, circular patty (you don’t want them to be thick or they won’t cook through).
- 5. Cook for 5 minutes or until they begin to turn golden. Flip them over.
- 6. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- 7. Place the patties on a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining sweet potato mixture.
- 8. Cool patties and serve.
*Allow to cool, then place in ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, pop them into a oven at 300 for 10 minutes or until warmed through or defrost in fridge for 24 hours then heat in a dry pan.
Whole Wheat Bagel Wreath Pizza (Serves 4)
Prep Time:2 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes, Total Time: 12 minutes,
- 4 whole wheat bagels, cut in half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup broccoli, peas and/or green beans, steamed
- 1 12 oz jar roast red bell peppers
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
- 2. Spread 1 tbsp of sauce on each slice of bagel.
- 3. Top each bagel with 2 tbsp of cheese, then arrange vegetables on top to resemble a wreath.
- 4. Cut bell peppers into thin strips to make the ribbon for each wreath.
- 5. Place wreaths on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 6. Serve.