By Lacie Martin
Is your family feeling off-kilter these days? The world as a whole is pretty off-kilter it seems, and it’s easy to feel like everything is inside-out. Schedules as a rule shifted every which way, and even running errands looks different from how it looked a handful of months ago. Happily, there are several things you can do to get back on track. Check out these resources that will help you and your family regain a healthy sense of balance:
Boundaries are a must for everyone in your family. Reinforcing them in terms of schedules and priorities is the best way to get your footing back on solid ground.
- Plan out the next day the night before, then get started early in the morning.
- Consider a windowed schedule, blocking out chunks of your day.
- If you run your own business, outsource everyday tasks through freelancing sites.
- Plot out weekly tasks, and be sure to set aside “do not disturb” time for big projects.
- Reduce household burdens by hiring professional cleaners for routine tidyups.
Education and Entertainment
While you’re working, your kids need things to occupy themselves—or else they’ll come up with their own activities which may or may not be okay. Here are some healthy selections that provide education, entertainment, or both:
- Send your kids to the backyard with fun DIY games.
- For your video game lovers, there are plenty of educational options.
- Children in self-isolating families can still socialize with their friends through technology.
Do Things Together
One of the benefits of working from home is more time with family. Plan some activities that help you make the most of the opportunity.
- Get the whole family in on making meals.
- A little yoga is a great way to decompress and bond.
- Play cooperative video games together.
- Consider family-friendly sports, like badminton, swimming, or cycling.
- Teach your kids life skills like washing dishes, cooking, and doing laundry.
Life hasn’t traveled in a predictable path this year, and if your family is feeling off-kilter as a result, take heart. These tips will help you and yours regain a healthy and happy equilibrium.